Bud Bernitt for Congress Money Linked to Steve Smith

Talk of Bloomington, Monroe County and surrounding area

Bud Bernitt for Congress Money Linked to Steve Smith

Postby crinklecrust » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:19 pm

Republican Bud Bernitt of Bernitt Realty in his Failed bid for Congress raised ONLY $1,270 in total Campaign Contributions from all Individuals contributing less than $200 each ($7,870 – $6,600).

Scott Christopher Tibbs was the acting Treasurer in Bud Bernitts 2010 GOP Congressional Primary bid for the 8th District. Bud Bernitt of Bernitt Realty received ONLY 3% of the Republican Primary Votes.

(NOTE: BUD BERNITT FOR CONRESS: TOTAL CONTRIBUTION REFUNDS OF $1,000 WAS NOT REPORTED IN THE INITIAL POST HERE AND WAS REFUNDED BY SCOTT TIBBS AS ACTING TREASURER OF BUD BERNITT'S FOR CONGRESS CAMPAIGN. CURRENT DATA REFLECTS THE UPDATE OF TWO $500 CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS BEING RETURNED WITHIN THE 8TH DISTRICT.)

Individual Campaign Contributions of $200 or more came from 10 different Individuals Totaling $6,600. (Those Contributions totaled $3,300 equally from both Inside & Outside the 8th District).

Bud Bernitt Filed for the GOP Republican Primary in the 8th District on the very last day- Friday, February 19, 2010- even though Bernitt did NOT live in the District.

Bernitts’ very First Major Campaign Contribution of $200 was collected three days after the Filing Date. On Monday, February 22, 2010, Bud Bernitt received $200 from by Steve Smith as a Campaign Contribution from the Engineering Firm - SMITH/NEUBECKER.

PRIMARY RESULTS: Bud Bernitt finished second to Last out of a Field of Eight Candidates only receiving 3% of the total votes cast.

Quandary: Why did 50% of the Individual Campaign Contributions of $200 or more (the bulk of the Campaign Money) come from Outside the 8th District- even though NONE of those Voters could vote for Bud Bernitt (Steve Smith included of Smith/Neubecker)?

I. BREAKDOWN OF THE NUMBERS

BUD BERNITT FOR CONGRESS TOTAL REVENUE RAISED: $7,870 (12,910-$5,040)
SCOTT CHRISTOPHER TIBBS - TREASURER

BUD BERNITT FOR CONGRESS COMMITTEE

BUD BERNITT'S $5,040 LOAN TO HIMSELF VIA SCOTT CHRISTOPHER TIBBS AS ACTING TREASURER

*** (To the Federal Election Commission:

I During the 2010 primary campaign, I loaned $5,040.00 to my campaign committee. I have decided to forgive this loan. Please count this as a contribution. If you have any; questions, feel free to contact my campaign treasurer, Scott Tibbs.

Sincerely,
Bud Bernitt)
_______________________________________________________________________________________

BUD BERNITT CAMPAIGN MONEY 2010

I. CONTRIBUTIONS OF $200 OR GREATER INSIDE THE 8TH DISTRICT

*** NUMBER OF DIFFERENT INDIVIDUAL CONTRIBUTORS: 4

1. TRIMBLE, MIKE SR
SPENCER, IN
47460 T AND T REPAIRABLES/OWNER $1,800 P 03/01/2010

2. TRIMBLE, PHILIP
SPENCER, IN
47460 T AND T REPAIRABLES/OWNER $500 P 03/01/2010

3. TRIMBLE, PHILIP
SPENCER, IN
47460 T AND T REPAIRABLES/OWNER $500 P 03/30/2010

4. TRIMBLE, KATHY
SPENCER, IN
47460 TRUCK PARTS UNLTD./OWNER $250 P 03/03/2010

5. TRIMBLE, MICHAEL
SPENCER, IN
47460 TRUCK PARTS UNLTD./OWNER $250 P 03/03/2010

*** TOTAL REVENUE RAISED INSIDE 8TH DISTRICT: $3,300

II. CONTRIBUTIONS OF $200 OR GREATER OUTSIDE THE 8TH DISTRICT

*** NUMBER OF DIFFERENT INDIVIDUAL CONTRIBUTORS: 6

1. COWDEN, DON
BLOOMINGTON, IN
47404 COWDEN ENTERPRISES/OWNER $1,000 P 03/16/2010

2. COWDEN, DON
BLOOMINGTON, IN
47402 COWDEN ENTERPRISES/OWNER $700 P 04/14/2010

3. FENNEMAN, CRAIG
INDIANAPOLIS, IN
46227 TACO BELL/OWNER $500 P 03/04/2010

4. ROBINSON, JOHN
BLOOMINGTON, IN
47404 JB SALVAGE/OWNER $500 P 03/24/2010

5. SMITH, STEVE
BLOOMINGTON, IN
47401 SMITH NEUBECHER/OWNER $200 P 02/22/2010

6. MORRISON, EDIE
BLOOMINGTON, IN
47404 MORRISONS APPLIANCES/OWNER $200 P 02/24/2010

7. LONG, STEVE
BLOOMINGTON, IN
47403 ELECTRICAL SERVICES/OWNER $200 P 03/30/2010

*** TOTAL REVENUE RAISED OUTSIDE 8TH DISTRICT: $3,300
Last edited by crinklecrust on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crinklecrust
skate
skate

Have thanks: 0 times

Re: Bud Bernitt for Congress Money Linked to Steve Smith

Postby Al » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:59 pm

Interesting. I am not all that up on the financing of local elections, is this in some way out of the norm? I am unclear what you are getting at.
Al
building trades
building trades

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby Curmudgeon » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:46 am

I understand Bud is a good guy on a personal level, he's helped my daughter with some of her properties.

Here he's a part of the nut bridgade and acts like an idiot.

There's likely a reason he garnered so little of the vote between him and ST, one would think they ought to be able to figure out how it is others view them ...and not just here... and not just democrats...
-----
Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future. -John F. Kennedy
Curmudgeon
I'm the mean moderator

Have thanks: 832 times

Postby Richard Potato » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:48 am

Al wrote:Interesting. I am not all that up on the financing of local elections, is this in some way out of the norm? I am unclear what you are getting at.

Of course it's unclear-- foaming at the mouth usually is.
Richard Potato
Entrenched

Have thanks: 36 times

Postby Louie » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:57 am

I think he is saying that someone who gets to play in the local power game relating to land development is tied financially to an alleged unsavory guy. He may even be implying that the tie is related to past services.
Dogmatic Liberalism--The New Shallow Thinkers, but Not as Clueless as the Ultra Shallow Thinking of the Corporate Fart Suckers LIke Raving Karl
Louie
Entrenched

Have thanks: 77 times

Postby czyn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:33 pm

Quandary: Why did 50% of the Individual Campaign Contributions of $200 or more (the bulk of the Campaign Money) come from Outside the 8th District- even though NONE of those Voters could vote for Bud Bernitt (Steve Smith included of Smith/Neubecker)?

think he is saying that someone who gets to play in the local power game relating to land development is tied financially to an alleged unsavory guy. He may even be implying that the tie is related to past services.

Yep. I think the reason Steve Smith of the Engineering Firm Smith-Neubecker was the very first major campaign contributor to Bud Bernitt's Congress bid was simply business payback for done dirty deeds. Not for the Bernitt Realty salvation. LInk below.

Herald-Times

Defense grills Wells' accuser
Phone records conflict with Bud Bernitt's account

By Katy Murphy, Herald-Times Staff Writer
October 29, 2003

Wells' attorneys used the slides, as well as cellular phone records, Wednesday afternoon to demonstrate the crux of their case: that the degree of Bernitt's hatred for Wells, an environmentalist and a Democrat, prompted him to stalk and ultimately frame him.

The night of Wells' arrest, state trooper Stacy Brown was sent to investigate a complaint of drunken driving in downtown Bloomington by Sgt. J.D. Maxwell, a state police evidence technician and Republican candidate for sheriff who was off duty at the time. It was the tip from Bernitt to Maxwell that launched the investigation.

In an interview under oath given in late 2002, Maxwell said that he was awakened around 9 p.m. by a phone call from Bernitt. He said Bernitt told him he had seen Wells emerge, "drunk as a skunk," from the Crazy Horse bar and restaurant and urinate near the railroad tracks.

Bernitt testified Wednesday that he and his wife, Amy, were in their pickup truck in a nearby parking lot when they saw Wells, followed him in their truck, and later called Maxwell from their cellular phone. He said he pointed out Wells' parked car to Brown and waited for Wells to return to it.

Bernitt said he watched the situation from his truck. Once the arrest began, he said, he left his vehicle and came closer to get a better look.

According to Bernitt's cellular phone records, shown Wednesday on a transparency, Bernitt was on the phone with Steve Smith during Wells' arrest. Smith is the developer and engineer of a lakeshore construction project called Pedigo Bay that Wells strongly criticized and opposed. The conversation lasted 18 minutes.

The phone records also put a twist on Maxwell's and Bernitt's version of events. Although Maxwell said Bernitt called him at 9 p.m., the records showed that Bernitt only called Maxwell once — at 7:41 p.m. It was Maxwell who called Bernitt twice around 9 p.m.

Wells apparently did not leave the bar until 7:50 p.m.

When Colman asked Bernitt how his story could make sense in light of the phone records, Bernitt replied, "I don't see how it could possibly work with those time frames." He said he didn't remember what he did between the time he called Maxwell that night and the time Maxwell called him.

Growing increasingly red-faced, Bernitt rejected Colman's suggestion that he and his wife "were out looking for Scott Wells' car." He did not dispute the fact, however, that his wife knew what Wells' car looked like — or that she had placed an incriminating bumper sticker on it earlier that year.

Bernitt also said he didn't remember making cellular phone calls that night to Kevin Shiflet, Jeff Ellington, Richard Wells and Franklin Andrew, also Republicans and property rights activists

Yep. Good lord. I was at the criminal trial and saw the ISP Battery pictures inflicted on Wells..... I would have loved to hear that 18 minute phone call from Bud Bernitt to Steve Smith and hear the Bud Amore for Steve as Councilman Scott Wells was being Battered by the Indiana State Police, being thrown face first to the sidewalk with his hands behind his back.

All the while being proven in court that Wells Arrest was a Setup and a False Report submitted by Bud and Amy Bernitt. Bud, who even admitted that the probable cause phone record conflict was impossible for the alleged witnessed behavior said, "I don't see how it could possibly work with those time frames."

Scott Wells was Acquited of Felony Battery, Resisting Arrest, OWI Endangerment........

The $200 Campaign Contribution from Steve Smith to Bud Bernitt was nothing compared to what Steve Smith had to pay for his flagrant environmental violations at Pedigo Bay on Lake Monroe, a whopping $41,600 in Fines, the largest ever in Monroe County.

Nevertheless IMHO, the $200 from Steve Smith to Bud Bernitt was a "thank you" for setting Scott up, taking him out, and getting him off his back as a payback vendetta. Because Scott Wells exposed the whole hypocrisy at Pedigo Bay as Steve Smith was not only the Developer of the project but serving on the influential Drainage Board as well.
czyn
skate
skate

Postby clayfeat » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:03 pm

czyn wrote:Yep. I think the reason Steve Smith of the Engineering Firm Smith-Neubecker was the very first major campaign contributor to Bud Bernitt's Congress bid was simply business payback for done dirty deeds. Not for the Bernitt Realty salvation.

Or maybe he simply gave him 200 bucks because the candidate asked him for a donation.
clayfeat
Permanently Swollen

Have thanks: 203 times

Postby Al » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:21 pm

clayfeat wrote:
czyn wrote:Yep. I think the reason Steve Smith of the Engineering Firm Smith-Neubecker was the very first major campaign contributor to Bud Bernitt's Congress bid was simply business payback for done dirty deeds. Not for the Bernitt Realty salvation.

Or maybe he simply gave him 200 bucks because the candidate asked him for a donation.

Occam's razor and all. $200 seems like a pretty paltry payoff for helping to frame a guy.
Al
building trades
building trades

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby Louie » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:46 pm

Does x preclude y, z, a, b, etc.?
Dogmatic Liberalism--The New Shallow Thinkers, but Not as Clueless as the Ultra Shallow Thinking of the Corporate Fart Suckers LIke Raving Karl
Louie
Entrenched

Have thanks: 77 times

Postby Curmudgeon » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:16 pm

I think an obsession is unhealthy for Bud or anyone else.
-----
Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future. -John F. Kennedy
Curmudgeon
I'm the mean moderator

Have thanks: 832 times

Postby Richard Potato » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Fanaticism breeds fanaticism.
Richard Potato
Entrenched

Have thanks: 36 times

Postby crinklecrust » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:08 pm

The initial post on December 22, 2010 on Bud Bernitt's big defeat for Congress bid did not include the $1,000 Campaign Contributions Refunded by Treasurer Scott Christopher Tibbs to TWO campaign contributors of $500 each in the Eighth Congressional District. The initial post now includes those corrections.

Total Individual Contributions for the
Failed Bud Bernitt for Congress raised ONLY: $1,270 ($7,870 - $6,600) and
Received ONLY 3% of the Republican votes.
crinklecrust
skate
skate

Return to Bloomington, Monroe County and area